Monday, May 29, 2017

Another Day, Another Sight Checked Off the List


Monday, 29 May, 2017:

I spent the morning breaking down the video of last weekend's Warriors game and typing up my game notes to send to our players. On Tuesday we will hold our first practice since that game against the Djurgården U15 squad as a four day weekend and a fundraising work night eliminated all of our practices last week.

Finished with my American football duties for the day, I suddenly realized that in only . . .

more days . . .

. . . Laurie touches down
in Stockholm!

 I opted to walk to our local
train station today

 Random church in my goal area
of the day, the Södermalm district

 First stop,
Tantolunden Park

It is a huge park on the eastern side of the island of Södermalm hard by the Årstaviken Bay.

My reason to visit this park was to take a close look at one of my 111 Must Things to See in Stockholm guidebooks sights.

Sight #95 The Tanto Colony
Blooming gardens out of an emergency

A rocky mound rising up in the middle of Tantolunden Park has several small colorful wooden sheds/homes surrounded by lush flourishing gardens.

Lots of flowers

Similar allotment colonies are found all over the Stockholm area.

Quaint Shed

The Tanto Colony dates back to World War I when people farming these small plots had to grow vegetables to distribute during those good shortage days.

When WWII came, food was needed
once again and the Tanto
Colony responded positively

Idyllic home

Lots of good views at the
top of the rocky mound

Quite enjoyable Tanto Colony view

Sitting by the dock of the
Årstaviken Bay

Beach Day in Södermalm

A Spring dip to remember

Nice boats

I wonder if you can play
boule here?

Not only can you play boule
here, they also teach groups of
newbies about the game itself

Old boule hands at play

I like this place! Maybe Laurie will join me in a game or two.

An orange-banana smoothie
hit the spot!

 One last shot of the
Årstaviken Bay

On the walk back to the nearest Metro station I had to pass by the Zinkensdamms IP, home of the . . .

. . . Stockholm Mean Machines

Their youth teams were practicing so I observed for a bit.

I needed a late afternoon American football fix.

48 hours . . .

No comments: